How to set up an online store, an online store is simply an electronic platform or website through which tangible or intangible products can be sold, and also through which services can be sold.
The online store provides a complete automation system (making the sale process automatic without the intervention of the store owner), by providing the ability to:
How to set up an online store
- Displaying products and their specifications in front of the customer (through pictures, text, and possibly videos explaining all product specifications and prices).
- Online payment.
- Connecting with shipping companies that will deliver the product to the customer.
- Of course, the online store provides many other features to the customer, such as following the product delivery process, communicating with customer service, providing information about store policies such as refund and exchange policy, acceptable payment methods … etc.
Steps to create an online store
1. Determine the product that you will sell on your online store
There are often two situations behind creating an online store:
The first case: How to set up an online store It is the expansion of the scope and sales of an already existing store, in order to take advantage of the opportunities and profit potential that e-commerce offers.
Example: You are a manufacturer of making children’s toys, and you already have sales outlets on the ground, and you have wholesalers in the market who buy through you, but you want to expand your business in order to reach every potential customer … How to set up an online store, Here creating an online store would be an ideal solution to achieve this.
The second case: Establishing an online store as a new and independent project, and this is what we will talk about here.
How to set up an online store In order to start your online store as a new and independent project, you have to determine the product or products that you will sell in it.
Here is one of two directions to get your product:
The first trend: the unique and innovative product, which requires a new idea based on the needs of the target audience, which may be an innovative tool, for example, to facilitate life or to solve a problem.
This trend requires an innovative and creative person, and in it, the risk is very high, but the profit opportunities are also very high because you will be without competitors for some time.
The second trend: the traditional product known to everyone, and this includes all kinds of products in the market, such as clothes, electrical appliances, cosmetics, etc.
The second direction is upon which we will continue our topic.
Here are some points that will help you define the product for your online store:
- Brainstorming sessions, in which you can get more product ideas by your own needs.
- Polling friends and relatives.
- Benefit from the experiences of others, by following other online stores and knowing the products they sell.
- Do an Internet search for the most important products that are sold online.
- Follow the sales groups on Facebook and reach the best-selling products in these groups.
- Go to global giants like Amazon and eBay and search for best-selling products there, and do so with the hottest and most famous stores in your country.
2. Check the ability to sell this product
After you have identified the idea of the product … Let’s say here that you decided to create an online clothing store.
Now you have to put this idea to the test and examination to verify its feasibility first, and secondly to present it to the market in a distinctive and more competitive way.
3. Determine the source of obtaining the product that you will sell
Suppose, in the previous step, that you decided that baby clothes are the products that you will sell in your online store.
In this step, you have to determine the source from which you will get these baby clothes.
4. Determine the method of payment in your online store (payment gateway)
This is a very important and vital step for your online store, and it is related to the method you will choose to create your store (methods of creating an online store will be discussed shortly).
5. Determine the method of delivering the product to the buyer
Like most of the steps here, too, there are a lot of options available, which may be related to the previous options as well.
For example, How to set up an online store in the case of creating a drop shipping online store, you do not need a means of shipping as a store owner in the first place, because the shipping task is on the main store, as we discussed above.
In any case, the common option and followed by most online stores in the shipping step is to seek the help of a specialized shipping company, and to contract with them on the task of delivering the products of the online store to buyers.
6. Choose one of the ways to create your online store
In this step, you have to select the way you want to create your online store … Yes, there are many ways to create an online store, which you have to choose one of them and start applying them.
What are the ways to create an online store?
There are three ways to create an online store, and this is an explanation for you, including:
1- Create an online store using specialized e-commerce platforms
In my view, this is the best, easiest, and most professional option, and it is the option that has the most advantages at a fair price.
And for those who do not know what e-commerce platforms are: they are companies that provide integrated services to create an online store and make all its settings in order for it to be ready for sale.
2- Create an online store using WordPress
To create an online store with WordPress, follow these steps:
1- Book good web hosting that supports WordPress.
2- Buy a domain name for your online store.
Most of the hosts mentioned in the article above will give you a free domain name when you buy it, but in any case, you can easily buy a domain name from a specialized site, including the famous site Name Cheap.